Friday, May 23, 2014

Who Crashed my PC? Part-2 What do I actually use my PC for, anyway?


Part-2, What do I use my PC for, anyway?

So, after several hours of futile attempts to get my PC to essentially, heal itself, I had to accept the inevitable. It was seriously crashed and I needed to get my data off of it, or get it repaired.

Being a regular user of the web, I realized that I had evolved over the past five years into more than just a PC user, I and my wife had really changed how our PC's and access the web. Let me explain.

We are RVers who have used campers for years and we travel quite a bit around the US. In order for us to travel like we do and still have access to the web, we expanded our requirements from just being your average PC users. We had turned into multiple device users who required not only access, but access with multiple tools.

for example, we both have Smartphones (iPhones) that we use for communication with our families and friends as well as for fast access to information that we need as we we travel. Information like traffic warnings, hotel and campground confirmations, even fuel stops and restaurants and rest areas.

In addition to our iPhones, we both have iPad tablets. Having these allows us to take them (they are so light and easily carried almost anywhere) with us as we see the sights or just walk along a lake and are inspired to take a picture or write a short poem or a storyline for a future blog post.

We also, have our iPhones and iPads linked to each other via the iCloud and this give us access to our important data with either our iPad or iPhone anytime, anywhere.

As to my PC, I have always kept my PC as my preferred device for working on the web, while my wife is content to use her iPad. But, I do sync and back up our Apple devices onto my PC for another level of security.

So, I realized that I was hanging on to my Windows PC and software out of some form of loyalty (or fear of change?).
For instance, I like WORD and EXCEL and I am what I would call an "expert" at using them.
But, I was now using Apples PAGES and NUMBERS when I was on my iPad, which was most of the time I was mobile. Of course, the commands used to operate  Pages and Numbers are so different from Word and Excel that it is a pretty big mountain to climb for me to change over.

The other consideration is cost. Of course, my iPhone and iPad are relatively expensive devices, but I have found that they are not nearly as fragile as some of the other manufacturers Smartphones and Tablets.

And the PC's? Wow! What a difference.

I can buy a decent Windows PC for a price of anywhere from $300 to $3000. So I have a lot of options. They have the standard hard drives which are mechanical devices that are susceptible to crashes, as I was experiencing, and have an inherent short life expectancy. They are clunky and heavier. with a short battery up time. I know PC's like the back of my hand along with their software packages.

On the other hand, Apples PC are expensive. They start at just over $1000 and go up from there. They have "Flash" drives which have no mechanical moving parts so they have a much longer life expectancy. They are light weight and have very long battery up time which is great for enyone. But, I will need to learn their PC operating command system and each of their software packages, which will really suck up a lot of my time.

So, I spent the next couple of days agonizing over my problem.
I finally came up with a plan which you can read in the next post; Who crashed my PC? Part-3 Recovering my Data.

by Don Bobbitt, 2014
Copyright, Don Bobbitt, 2014








No comments:

Post a Comment

LET ME KNOW! I want to provide useful and interesting information for my fellow Retirees, Seniors and Baby Boomers. So, Compliments are welcome, and Complaints or just other opinions are just as welcome. SO, LET ME KNOW what is on your mind!